Website List

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Run Rabbit

I wanted to burn the boats 

Trap us in the new world, 

The boats never burned, 

I watched you sail away from me. 


I’m the low dose medication 

With too much on an empty stomach 

It will leave you drowsy and nauseous. 


I see two options; 

Either I think along the same lines as everyone else 

I am just more honest about it, 

Which would mean I’m surrounded by people who lie to my face, 

Or I don’t, 

Neither is comforting. 


Do you also look at the world from an angle, 

Not head on, 

Where others are happy 

Never questioning more than the time of day or the makings of their next meal. 


I wish I was like other men 

Fell for someone with my hips or lips 

Not my mind, 

It looks so much easier when you use a shorter yard stick.

  

Dance in line 

Play the part, 

I thought you were wearing a mask too, 

I pulled mine off and scared you away. 


Back to the drawing board 

Reassess the what, why, and how 

Find the answers that aren’t for you, 

Look at the sun and don’t go blind.


At times I swear I could see it in the corner of your eyes as well 

That I wasn’t alone, 

That you felt it too, 

There was something there; 

These rose-colored glasses have left my vision wanting. 


I wish it had been you, 

I am jealous at life for taking you to another destination.


I have years of it bottled up 

Sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to uncork it for.

I would have spun the world backwards 

Had the ground give up its dead, 

But too much birthday cake makes anyone sick. 


This fire and passion burns straight into my core, 

I choke it down once again 

It wasn’t meant for you. 


You might need it in pieces, 

Cut up and wrapped 

All neat in a butcher’s bag; 

That’s not me, 

I’m the supernova, 

The star that won’t die but it becomes the black hole 

Where the timid stop at the event horizon. 

Fall in, 

Pass through, 

Find me waiting to catch you on the other side. 


Had you told me your dreams, 

I would have plucked them from the vapor, 

Forced them into existence, 

Have them parade before you, 

Bowing at your feet.


I burned the last words you wrote to me, 

Keep the delusion alive for a moment longer, 

Take one final breath before the clouds part and the image moves on. 

What’s gone cannot be recaptured. 

When I looked into your eyes, 

I could almost touch the future; 

Pale blue eyes swirling into long talks 

Learning each other’s secrets, 

With each step laying the bricks that would build something other than walls.



I’m looking forward to the day my heart decides to chase some other unsuspecting victim down a rabbit hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment