Website List

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Never Alone

I chase my thoughts in circles with you at its center, 

Clawing at my mind's eye with fists of cotton 

Growing dizzy in the pursuit 

With the taste of distain and disillusion 

Wet on the lips. 


My preferred indifferent, 

A noxious shot of novocain into the temporal lobe 

Leaving you scrambled like eggs 

With a slice of butter and a pinch of salt. 


The soft ease of slipping beneath the surface 

Only to be jerked away 

With the sudden revelation of choaking on your bath water 

That never turned to wine and in the end left you unclean. 


You step into a thin film of filth that clings to the skin 

Your new robe fit for a king. 

A garment to marvel for the ages

 Tanned in sadness, stitched with pain, and hemmed from anguish 

A death shroud taught to stand like a man. 


Beatings grow stale after time 

Leaving the only real wounds just beneath the skin, 

The ones that never seem to scab over 

Even when left unpicked. 


Tomorrow’s dreams always lay on the other side of Sisyphos’ bolder; 

Your clouds fill my eyes upending my equilibrium 

Sending me stumbling from one misnomer to the next, 

Focus cuts hard to port shattering against the rocks of reason 

Driven onward with that abstract compulsion 

To look under all the lids and behind each door for what is not there. 


It’s seeing the finished statue still laying in the ruff uncut stone and knowing it will never surface 

As false phantoms whisper sweet untruths 

To lure me back to my golden fetters 

To watch the shadows dance across my caves wall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment